Unit 13 Power Point:
This section of the course provides students with an understanding of empirically based treatments of psychological disorders . The topic emphasizes descriptions of treatment modalities based on various orientations in psychology . AP students in psychology should be able to do the following:
Describe the central characteristics of psychotherapeutic intervention .
- Describe major treatment orientations used in therapy (e .g ., behavioral, cognitive, humanistic) and how those orientations influence therapeutic planning .
- Compare and contrast different treatment formats (e .g ., individual, group) .
- Summarize effectiveness of specific treatments used to address specific problems .
- Discuss how cultural and ethnic context influence choice and success of treatment (e .g ., factors that lead to premature termination of treatment) .
- Describe prevention strategies that build resilience and promote competence .
- Identify major figures in psychological treatment (e .g ., Aaron Beck, Albert Ellis, Sigmund Freud, Mary Cover Jones, Carl Rogers, B . F . Skinner, Joseph Wolpe) .